The Empirical Labs EL-7 FATSO is a modern digitally controlled analog device that offers many of the "musical non-linearity's" exhibited by the older tube, class A discrete, and magnetic tape mediums. This two channel audio processor will musically integrate frequencies and transients and increase the apparent volume without actual increase in peak levels. In addition, two channels of famous Empirical Labs compression are provided. There are several compressor "types" with fixed attacks and releases (if you want a fully controllable compressor, you will need the Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor!). Users can enhance & soften the sound of mediums such as modular digital multitracks (MDM's), HD recorders, DAT recorders, RAM Recorders etc. Mixdown engineers will have an option not to use bulky, expensive analog tape recorders to get the warmth and sweet high end they've come to rely on for so many decades. Owners of Adats, MDM's, RAM and modern hard disk recorders can finally put a stop to complaints about the "coldness" and "brittle edge" of their mixes and instruments with the "rounded" and "musically non linear elements" of vintage analog. Finally, audiophiles can bring back the warmth and ambience of LP's and tapes to their CD players and other digital reproduction mediums.
- Soft clip features modeled after broadband tape saturation. WITHOUT THE NOISE! Smooth clipping up to 20% THD.
- User programmable high frequency saturation, simulating the "softening" for which analog tape and phonographs are known. This is the "Warmth" control on FATSO.
- Switchable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like NEVE, API, etc. These artifacts include frequency "rounding", low order clipping & intermodular distortion, transient clipping... and some other very musical non-linearities.
- Four compression modes - One for tracking, one general purpose, one "bus" compressor, and SPANK (see below). All LINKABLE! Classic knee compressor sound that really grabs.
- SPANK!- An additional limiter that musically smashes the dynamic range, and can be used to stop clipping before digital recorders. There is a subtle knee followed by hard limiting.
- Huge "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering - For easy readability and repeatable settings. They also go to 10 1/2.
- Distortion indicator lights - A 0 VU LED and a "Pinned" (5%) LED. No hard clipping until a few dB past "Pinned".
- Sidechain output and input for eq-ing control signals.
- Locked, calibrated, output level - Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels.
- Foolproof operation - it's almost impossible to get a bad sound.
- Single height and light weight - Two channels of classic sound in a small, extremely reliable package.
- Discrete and integrated combination - the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components. All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path - top quality components, most being high temperature military spec parts.
- Switchable 110/220 volt operation - Extra fuse provided inside unit.
- True bypass - Know what it's really doing. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability. No internal audio connectors
- XLR, 1/4" phone and RCA ins and outs - XLR fully balanced, transformerless design, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot!
- No internal connectors, high reliability parts and military grade switches and relays.
- Three year unlimited warranty.
- Interface and features found nowhere else.
- Allows processing not readily available in our current digital domain. New life for analog processing!
- Hand wired, calibrated in USA. Shipping weight 13.25Lbs.
Fatso's Four Types of Processing (Available on both channels)
- Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipper (Distortion generation)
- High Frequency Saturation - WARMTH!
- Transformer & Tape Head Emulation
- Classic Knee Compression - Empirical Labs Style!
- Freq. Response is 2 Hz to 60 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB).
- Dynamic Range - 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise.
- Distortion Ranges between .06% and 20% depending on mode and settings.
- DC coupled Input and Outputs - High quality audio caps used internally.
- Compressor Time Constants - Attack range 1mS - 200mS. Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds. Attack and Releases are fixed by the compression type selected.
Click here for more information