R-121 Studio Dynamic Ribbon Microphone, Royer Labs
Ribbon-Velocity Studio Microphone
The R-121 is the world's first radically redesigned ribbon microphone and Royer's flagship product. Like most ribbons, the R-121's pattern is figure 8, its sensitivity is roughly equal to a good dynamic mic, and it exhibits a warm, realistic tone and flat frequency response (see R-121 Frequency Response). But when it came to design time, we threw out the molds and took a fresh approach to ribbons using advanced materials and cutting edge construction techniques. Today the R-121 completely redefines ribbon microphones, leading Recording Magazine to say "the Royer R-121 is destined to become one of the classic microphones of the 21st century ". It's a sleek, light, extremely versatile microphone that is easy to use, wonderfully musical, and sturdy enough for us to give it a lifetime warrantee!
Recording With The R-121
An R-121 hears things the way your ears hear them. Many microphones are effects in a way; some add top end sizzle (like many condenser mics), some push the mids and roll off everything else, some respond to nothing but low end. They all serve a purpose and have their place in recording and live work. But if you've ever heard that incredible guitar, melodic trumpet, sweet flute, deep kick drum, (pick your sound), and found that getting that sound to tape or hard drive was impossible, you owe it to yourself to try a Royer ribbon. On playback you'll notice that the recorded sound is natural and alive, with a panoramic, ambient feel much like what you heard when you were standing in front of the instruments you recorded. An R-121's response is flat and well balanced; low end is deep and full without getting boomy, mids are well defined and realistic, and the high end response is sweet and natural sounding, never edgy or sibilant.
Need to record at insane levels? No problem! The R-121's maximum SPL rating is >135dB and it can take that all day long. In practical terms, that means you can put your R-121 directly in front of a souped up mega-watts Marshall and turn it up to 11 (see what Pro Audio Review had to say about this) without microphone distortion or doing any damage to the ribbon. We don't recommend trying this with other ribbon mics, but the R-121 can take it, no sweat.
Okay, 121's are tough, but you've got a studio that goes day and night so you can't keep an eye on everything, stuff gets broken sometimes and you think that someday you may wake up to a blown ribbon. Murphy's law being what it is, it'll probably happen right in the middle of an important session, and you've heard that fixing a ribbon mic takes forever. That used to be true, but not any more - you can actually replace the R-121's ribbon transducer yourself! The "ears" of the R-121 are the outside of its ribbon transducer, the heart of the microphone where the ribbon is suspended between two powerful neodymium magnets. This transducer was designed to be field replaceable, so anyone with basic electrical skills can change it out in about 10 minutes. You need a user-friendly microphone... you got it.
- High SPL Capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element is not affected by heat or humidity
- Absence of high frequency phase distortion
- Equal sensitivity from front or back of element
- Consistent frequency response regardless of distance
- Field replaceable ribbon transducer
- Close micing
- Electric Guitar
- Overhead Drum micing
- Percussion Instruments
- Brass Instruments - Horn Sections
- Woodwind Instruments
- Acoustic Piano, Acoustic Guitar, Harp, etc.
- Choirs and Orchestras
- String Sections
- Commercial Broadcast
- Voice Over
- Acoustic Operating Principle: Electrodynamic pressure gradient
- Polar Pattern: Figure-8
- Generating Element: 2.5-micron aluminum ribbon
- Magnets: Rare Earth Neodymium
- Frequency Response: 30 -15,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Sensitivity: >-53 dBv Re. 1v/pa
- Output Impedance: 300 Ohms @ 1K (nominal), 200 Ohms optional.
- Rated Load Impedance: >1500 Ohms @ 300 Ohms, >1000 Ohms @ 200 Ohms.
- Maximum SPL: >135dB
- Output Connector: Male XLR 3 pin (Pin 2 Hot).
- Dimensions: 158mm L, 25mm W (6.13" L, 1" W).
- Weight: 244g (8.6 oz )
- Finish: Burnished Satin Nickel/Matte Black Chrome optional.
- Protective wood case.
- Microphone clip.
Lifetime to original owner (repair or replace at Royer's option).