Shure made the KSM353 ribbon microphone to give you the smooth ribbon performance you love, but added a bonus: a ribbon element that can stand up to high SPLs. Hand-assembled in the USA, the KSM353 is capable of working over a wide frequency range, without losing the natural characteristics that make ribbon mics desirable. You'll appreciate the tough, proprietary Roswellite ribbon material Shure uses in this mic; it can handle up to 146dB, so you know it's tough enough to put on everything from vocals to instruments. Built to sound great and to last, the KSM353 makes an instant essential for your mic locker!
Roswellite ribbon element
If the fear of damaging a ribbon mic's fragile ribbon element has made you hesitant about adding one to your locker, worry no more. Shure's KSM353 uses a stronger element made of Roswellite material, which has better "shape memory" than conventional materials. This means the KSM353 can withstand high SPLs without ill effects ?and still give you the smooth ribbon-mic character you're looking for.
In addition to its Roswellite ribbon element, the KSM353 comes packed with premium components. Inside, for example, you'll find a double-shielded transformer, which gives you robust output while minimizing RF and magnetic interference. This is a must for modern recording situations. A custom ribbon motor assembly tailors bass response without attenuating the overall output, so you get full lows and mids. You also get great upper-range presence from this mic. This hand-assembled mic includes high-quality machined steel, silver, gold, and aluminum materials throughout, and you can expect it to remain a mainstay in your studio for years to come.
You get classic, smooth performance, even on loud sources
You'll definitely be able to put this mic's figure-8 pickup pattern to work in your studio setup. The KSM353 delivers completely symmetrical audio on axis, while its off-axis rejection is stellar. Like other great ribbon mics, the KSM353 provides smooth character, but it also gives you plenty of articulation and detail. Unlike other great ribbon mics, however, this one can handle serious SPLs.
Shure KSM353 Ribbon Microphone Features:
- Bi-directional polar pattern delivers premier, completely symmetrical audio with superior off-axis rejection
- Roswellite proprietary ribbon material provides high tensile strength, toughness and shape memory for superior resilience at extreme SPLs
- Custom ribbon motor assembly tailors bass response without attenuating the overall output for full low and mid ranges, and superior upper range presence from a rising frequency response
- Double-shielded, matched full-sized transformer minimizes signal loss and maximizes output while reducing magnetic and RF interference from 90 degree placement, offset relative to the ribbon
- 146dB SPL across 30Hz-15kHz frequency range ideal for capturing fast transients
- Legendary Shure quality and superior construction
- Hand-assembled, machined steel, silver, gold and aluminum materials
- Housed in a pure stainless steel casing
- Spring-loaded suspension shock mount for flexible, fully-isolated stand mounting.
- Upright protective wood case included for storage
- Sensitivity (at 1kHz, open circuit voltage): -53.5dBV/Pa (2.11 mV/Pa)
- Output impedance: Transformer, balanced, actual 270 ohm
- Connector: 3-pin professional audio (XLR) male