28x30 FireWire/USB 24-bit/192kHz Audio Interface with 8-channels of XLR/TRS Analog Inputs with Microphone Preamps, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, ADAT, S/MUX, and Built-in DSP Mixing and Effects - Mac/PC
896mk3 FireWire and USB Audio Interface, MOTU
The 896mk3 audio interface delivers
advanced design, high-end performance, superb sound, and universal
"hybrid" FireWire/USB2 connectivity to your Mac or Windows computer.
Hybrid FireWire / USB2 connectivity
As a hybrid audio interface, the 896mk3 provides flexible
connectivity to any Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0, with
eight channels of pristine 24-bit 192 kHz analog recording and playback,
combined with sixteen channels of optical digital I/O, stereo AES/EBU,
S/PDIF and separate analog main outs. Expand your system by connecting
the 8pre mic input expander or other MOTU audio interfaces.
The 896mk3 is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or
without a computer. As an interface or standalone mixer, the 896mk3
provides 28 separate inputs and 32 separate outputs, including dedicated
main outs on XLRs and two front panel headphone outs.
Watch a movie about the 896mk3's
on-board mixing and FX processing
On-board digital mixer with effects for monitoring and live mixing
Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars,
synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Record,
monitor, route and process all of these live inputs using the
professional on-board CueMix FX digital mixer – with no latency and no
processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects
processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host
computer. Add Classic Reverb™ with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further
sculpt your sound with 7-band parametric EQ featuring filter types
carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two
forms of compression: a conventional compressor and the Leveler™, an
accurate model of the legendary LA-2A™ optical compressor that provides
vintage, musical automatic gain control.
MOTU FireWire audio interfaces can connect to any Firewire port.
Just plug in and go, with any standard cable. The 896mk3 Hybrid provides
two FireWire Type B ports, which provide the most reliable FireWire
connection available. The ports operate at 400 Mbit/s, and they can be
connected to any available FireWire port on your computer, either Type A
or Type B. If your computer has FireWire Type B ports, use the included
9-pin-to-9-pin FireWire cable. If your computer has either standard
Type A ports or miniature Type A ports, use the appropriate
9-pin-to-6-pin or 9-pin-to-4-pin FireWire cable (sold separately).
When recording from the analog inputs, the 896mk3’s signal overload
protection gives you an extra 12 dB of headroom above zero with no
clipping or harsh artifacts.
Advanced audio analysis tools
Analyze and scope your audio with advanced diagnostic tools,
including a full-screen real-time FFT display, spectrogram "waterfall"
display, full-featured oscilloscope, X-Y plot, and linear/polar phase
Stand-alone operation as a mixer
After programming the on-board mixing in the studio, unplug the
896mk3 from the computer and take it on the road for operation as a
stand-alone mixer with effects. All mixing and effects parameters are
adjustable using the front panel backlit LCD.
The 896mk3 provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac and Windows
and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via
WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk
workstation software for Mac, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit
- Hybrid FireWire/USB2 connectivity — connect to your computer via plug-and-play FireWire or hi-speed USB2.
- CueMix FX™ — flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP
effects, including reverb with sends/returns, plus EQ and compression on
every input and output.
- 28 inputs / 32 outputs (at 44.1/48 kHz) — there's no channel
sharing in the 896mk3; the mic inputs, AES/EBU I/O, S/PDIF I/O,
headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
- Front-panel control — access any setting in your entire 896mk3 mix directly from the front panel.
- Stand-alone operation — program your mixes at the studio and
then bring the 896mk3 to your gig — no computer needed. Need to tweak
the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes — for example, create different
monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Or add send/return loops
for outboard gear — with no latency.
- Eight rear panel combo jacks provide 1/4” or XLR mic input with phantom power, pad and plenty of gain.
- Clip protection — input limiter prevents digital clipping and distortion from overloaded signal levels up to +12 dB over zero.
- Eight 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and outputs on XLR jacks
- Precision Digital Trim™ — Digitally controlled analog trim on
all analog inputs provides accurate adjustements in 1 dB increments.
Fine-tune the balance of your analog inputs and then save/recall trim
- Flexible optical I/O — 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8
channels of SMUX (96 kHz) or two pairs of stereo TOSLink. Mix and match
formats between the two banks.
- Expandable — add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow.
- Separate XLR main outs and front-panel headphone jacks, each with independent volume control.
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz AES/EBU in/out
- Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out
- Word clock in and out
- Foot switch input — conveniently located on the front
panel...connect a standard foot pedal switch (sold separately) for
hands-free punch-in and punch-out while recording. Or map the pedal to
any keystroke function in your host software.
- Includes native 32- and 64-bit drivers for Mac OS X and
Windows 7/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, Core Audio, and Core MIDI.
Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software.
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs.
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation
software for the Macintosh with recording, editing, mixing, real-time
32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire or high-speed USB 2.0.
- Front panel volume control for monitoring. Stereo, Quad, 6.1, 7.1 and user-defined surround monitoring setups available.
- Two front panel headphone jacks with independent volume controls.
- Comprehensive front panel metering for all analog and digital audio I/O.
- Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs.
- International 100-240V, 50-60 Hz autoswitching power supply.
- Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back
panel knobs and connectors: 19 x 7 x 3.5 inches (48.26 x 17.78 x 8.89
cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and
back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth. With rack ears attached,
fits standard 19 inch (48.26 cm) rack at 2U high.